Planning for a short trip to Gujarat with the desire for wildlife adventure? The Sasan Gir National Park does not require an introduction. For a brief holiday of 4-5 days, you will definitely look for some nearby destinations from Sasan Gir. A trip to Somnath and Diu will be the perfect combination to serve the purpose. The destinations are not too far from each other, which is the best part of the trip. To execute the entire plan within 5 days you need to chalk out an itinerary which is as follows:
Day 1. Arrival at Gir National Park and evening safari.
Day 2. A whole day safari.
Day 3. Reach Somnath.
Day 4. Reach Diu.
Day 5. Departure
Let’s view the trip plan in a comprehensive manner.
Sasan Gir National Park:
Sasan Gir National Park is a significant part of Gujarat tourism. The national park has gained prominence due to the presence of the majestic Asiatic lions. Reach Sasan Gir by arriving at Junagadh Railway Station or Rajkot Airport. The weather remains pleasant in the winter season and therefore tourists prefer to visit the national park from November to February.
Gir Online safari booking for jeep safari for morning, afternoon and evening slots are the best activities to get indulged in the national park. The chances of spotting lions in Gir National Park have always been high. Safari can also be conducted in the Devaliya zone.
Transfer to Somnath from Gir National Park. The distance is approximately 42 km.
1. Somnath Temple - The Somnath Temple is the first of 12 Jyotirlingas located in Saurashtra Gujarat. The Shiva linga is placed inside the garba griha of the shrine. The back side of the temple provides a view of the Arabian Sea. Watch the aarti of the temple which is done thrice every day by the temple priests.
2. Triveni Sangam - Triveni Sangam marks the confluence of the Hiran, Saraswati and Kapila rivers. Devotees do take a bath in the holy confluence to seek peace. It is believed that Lord Krishna took his final bath in this water before heading to the heavenly abode.
3. Panch Pandav Gufa - This cave complex is believed to be the residing place of the Pandava brothers and their wife Draupadi during their exile.
4. Somnath Beach - Somnath Beach is located near the Somanath Temple and is a must-visit place. The beach extends an amazing sight of the Arabian Sea. you can enjoy bathing near the shore or play with sand with your children.
Other places of interest in Somnath are Bhalka Tirth, Geeta Mandir, Prabhas Patan Museum, Dehotsarg Teerth, etc.
Head towards Diu Island at a distance of about 79 km. once a Portuguese Colony, presently Diu is a union territory of India located on the western coast of India. Despite being a small island Diu is well treasured with a number of tourist attractions - multiple gorgeous beaches, forts, caves, parks, churches, temples, etc. The union territory also possesses a number of options for accommodations.
1. Ghogla beach
2. Nagoa beach
3. Jallandhar beach
4. Gomtimata beach
5. St. Paul’s Church
6. Gangeshwar Mahadev temple
7. Diu Fort
8. Panikota Fort
9. Naida Caves
10. Zampa Gateway
11. INS Khukri Memorial
12. Diu Museum
Diu will be the ultimate destination of the trip. Departure from Diu can proceed from Diu Airport or from Junagadh Railway Station. On the way to Junagadh Junction, have a stop at Girnar Hills.